Macro & VBA Code Signing Certificates
Code Signing for VBA and Macros
- Show that your Visual Basic Applications & macros are from a trusted developer. Digitally Sign Microsoft Office Macros and Visual Basic Applications (VBA)
- Our Code Signing Certificates for Macros and VBA are used to digitally sign VBA objects, scripts, and macros within Microsoft Office
- When end users open documents containing unsigned macros, they receive security alerts advising them "not to enable content unless they trust the source of the file." Digitally signing your macro binds your identity to the code and displays your name within the file, alleviating the end user's concern about running code from an unknown source. Any changes to the macro made after the signature has been applied, such as insertion of a virus, will invalidate the signature, protecting your name and reputation
Why Sign Code?
Add an essential level of trust to the application installation process. The solution is simple – Sign your code!
Unsigned macros are automatically disabled in most Microsoft Office programs. End users are warned that macros may contain security hazards and to only enable content if they trust the source of the file.
Once digitally signed, end users can clearly see the name of the publisher and that the signature is valid. If they trust the source, they can change their settings to automatically enable all macros from that publisher in the future.
- Removes "Unknown Publisher" security warnings when code is downloaded
- Signature does not expire due to timestamping service, even after the certificate expires
- Choose the private key storage option that works best for you - a GlobalSign-provided cryptographic token, your own HSM, or Azure Key Vault
- Sign an unlimited number of apps
- Protect your brand and reputation
|Standard Code Signing Certificates||Extended Validation (EV) Code Signing Certificates|
|Information displayed in Certificate||Organization Name||Organization Name
Type of Organization
|Removes "unknown publisher" security warnings|
|Signature does not expire when Time Stamping is applied||Time stamping available & recommended||Time stamping available & recommended|
|Sign an unlimited number of applications|
|Compatible with major platforms (Authenticode, Office VBA, Java, Adobe AIR, Mac OS, Mozilla)|
|Key storage options||
You have a choice of storing keys on a token or HSM, not provided by GlobalSign.
Token options (choose “Token Implementation” at checkout):
HSM options (choose “HSM Implementation” at checkout):
By default, a cryptographic USB token is included with EV Code Signing Certificates.
If you’d prefer, EV Code Signing Certificates can be stored on an HSM* or Azure Key Vault (provided by customer). Please select the “HSM Implementation” option at checkout.
|Immediate reputation with Microsoft SmartScreen||No|
|BUY NOW||BUY NOW Learn More|
*GlobalSign allows standard and EV Code Signing Certificates to be installed on customer HSMs or in Azure Key Vault. Contact us for more information about these deployment options.
^USB token not included in HSM or Key Vault deployments.